Harp Pediatric Dentistry in Seminole, FL knows that life is complicated enough—so why not start with the basics? General dentistry services are where it all begins! Care for your family’s smallest smiles with our general dentistry services. From oral hygiene to dental sealants, we’ll clean and protect those precious teeth while teaching your children about brushing, flossing, being careful with their teeth, and the importance of good nutrition.
Professional Cleanings & Checkups
Oral hygiene is important before your baby even has visible teeth. Once the first tooth emerges, Dr. Dawoud can advise you about the different stages of brushing and careful flossing for little ones. Reinforcing the importance of consistent oral hygiene when children are young increases the possibility those habits will follow them into adulthood.
- Baby teeth are important—they’re placeholders for future permanent teeth.
- Poor childhood dental hygiene can result in speaking and eating difficulty, infection, and pain.
- Good nutrition helps keep kids’ teeth and bodies healthier.
Fluoride is a mineral that can strengthen tooth enamel. Treatments with fluoride varnish can help prevent tooth decay, slow its progression, or stop it from getting worse, but cannot guarantee total cavity prevention. Our dentists may recommend fluoride treatment based on factors such as:
- Use of fluoride toothpaste
- Fluoridated drinking water
- The child’s individual dental situation, health, and eating habit
Sealants are thin plastic coatings applied to the chewing surface of your child’s back teeth. They cover pits and grooves where many cavities are formed, thereby decreasing potential cavity development. If the dentist suggests sealants for your child, he will discuss them thoroughly with you.
- Sealants are recommended when 1st and 2nd permanent molars form (around ages 6 and 12).
- Sealants last an average of three years.
- Sealants discourage bacteria growth in areas difficult to reach with brushing.
If your child is active in contact sports, Harp Pediatric Dentistry recommends you invest in a custom-fitted mouthguard. A custom-made mouthguard ensures the highest level of protection available against oral injuries, potential tooth loss, and damage to jaws. Some studies even show custom mouthguards may decrease the likelihood of concussion damage. Some statistics:
- The American Dental Association reported 13-39% of dental injuries each year are sports-related.
- Children between 7-10 years of age have the highest number of injuries.
- 62% of dental injuries occur while playing unorganized sports.
At Harp Pediatric Dentistry, our aim is not only to provide extensive dental services for kids but to also educate them and the parents about a healthy oral regime. It helps prevent tooth decay at an early age and increases the longevity of the teeth.
You must teach your child the importance of visiting the dentist at least a couple of times a year. Also, let them know about the disadvantages of consuming a lot of sugary foods and how they help develop cavities. For teens, it is paramount to let them know about the horrible side effects of smoking. A good method is to tell them how bad it will make them look cosmetically.
If you feel that it is the right time to have your child visit a dentist, don’t hesitate to give us a call. If not, you can always book an online appointment with us!